Metro Credit Union Foundation Announces 2023 Grant Recipients
CHELSEA, MA —July 24, 2023 — Metro Credit Union, the largest state-chartered credit union in Massachusetts, today announced that it has awarded $50,000 in grant funding to six local non-profit organizations through the Metro Credit Union Foundation. Metro launched the Foundation in April 2023 — these grants represent the inaugural Foundation awards to support organizations, initiatives, and programs that contribute to the economic well-being of local communities and their residents through grant funding.
“Metro was founded on the idea of ‘people helping people’ nearly 100 years ago and to this day, giving back to the communities we serve remains central to everything we do,” said Robert Cashman, President and CEO, Metro Credit Union. “We are pleased to further our community efforts through grant funding to support the impactful and important work of the recipients."
The Foundation recipients include:
- Boys and Girls Club of MetroWest, Marlborough - $10,000, Money Matters Program
- Breaktime, Boston - $10,000, Match Savings Program
- Casa Myrna, Boston - $5,000, Match Savings Program
- Roxbury Main Streets Revitalization Corporation, Roxbury - $10,000, Streetscape Improvements Project
- South Middlesex Opportunity Council, Inc., Framingham - $10,000, Adult Learning ESL Program
- YMCA of Metro North, Peabody - $5,000, Youth and Teen Center Leadership Program
The Metro Foundation awards grants to organizations with a focus on:
- Community Development — creating vibrant and equitable neighborhoods.
- Securing Safe & Affordable Housing — providing opportunities for affordable housing and home ownership with down-payment assistance and homebuyer education programs.
- Financial Wellness & Advancement — promoting financial competency by providing knowledge and skills.
For more information about the foundation, application guidelines, and upcoming application deadlines visit Foundation.MetroCU.org.
Each year, Metro gives back to local communities through a number of philanthropic initiatives, partnerships, scholarships, and volunteer programs. Metro has been recognized for its charitable contributions with the Boston Business Journal Corporate Citizenship Award for the past three years.
About Metro Credit Union
Metro Credit Union is the largest state-chartered credit union in Massachusetts, with $3 billion in assets. Metro provides a full range of financial products to close to 200,000 members in Barnstable, Bristol, Essex, Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, Middlesex, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk, and Worcester counties in Massachusetts, and Cheshire, Hillsborough, and Rockingham counties in New Hampshire. Metro is the credit union of choice for employees at over 1,200 companies through its Metro@work program.
Founded in 1926, Metro currently operates 19 branch offices in Boston, Burlington, Chelsea, Dorchester, Framingham, Lawrence, Lynn, Medford, Melrose, Newton, Peabody, Reading, Salem, Tewksbury, and West Roxbury. Metro is also a Juntos Avanzamos (“Together We Advance”) designated credit union, an honor given to financial institutions for their commitment to serving and empowering Hispanic and immigrant consumers. Metro was recently named among the most charitable companies in Massachusetts by the Boston Business Journal. Learn more at MetroCU.org.